Table of contents:
- Third conversation
- Club arrangement and professional floristry:
- definition, differences, goals and objectives
- Florist requirements
Video: The History Of Flower Arrangement. Third Conversation
National Guild of Florists of Russia
Green Line Consulting Center
They present the project "History of Russian Floristics" in conversations with Tatyana Anatolyevna Frenkina.
Club arrangement and professional floristry:
definition, differences, goals and objectives
Now we come close to professional floristry. A professional florist, and a non-professional is not called a "florist" - this is a person who deals with flower arrangements and his main purpose is to work in a flower shop. A florist is educated primarily to work in a flower shop. Therefore, training in club arrangement and training for working in a flower shop goes completely in different directions and according to different textbooks, since these two directions have completely different goals and objectives.
Club arrangement (European) is mainly working with flowers from your own garden to decorate your home, i.e. work for yourself, this is time; and working with flowers for charitable purposes in temples, at exhibitions, etc., that's two.
The club arrangement teaches you how to get along with both large and small cut flowers, but it does not involve working with potted plants. Those involved in club arrangement study the history of the world flower arrangement and arrangement of their country, the assortment and storage of cut flowers and leaves, mainly of course the local assortment, what they have for sale. They also study canning, drying - different ways - garden flowers, basically. They also study compositions from living plants, including table decoration and arrangement of flowers in a vase. They study the whole complex of wedding floristry with traditional forms of bouquets, accepted in the given country, but do not learn different styles of bouquets. If in England the wedding bouquet is posy, then the one who is engaged in floral arrangement should know this bouquet;if in Austria girls both got married with a Biedermeier bouquet, and they are getting married with him now. That's how long I lived in Austria, like a bouquet for a wedding - it's just a Biedermeier. They are trained in club arrangement making collages, plateaus, paintings, potpourri of dried flowers and other dried material. Be sure to learn the flower decoration of churches. They also study vases and containers of various styles that they have historically and are now adopted. If this is an English arrangement, then you need to know the Victorian, Tudor, Edwardian style of arrangement, etc. In Russia, for example, why the Edwardian style of arrangement? We didn't have this style. In a club arrangement, you must also be able to decorate the historical interior. They do not have to know the entire global assortment that is present on the flower market today,and this global assortment today includes hundreds and hundreds of items.
What should a florist be able to do? He should be able to work with both cut and potted plants. His first task, which is taught all over the world, is to work in a store. The main task of the florist is to work with a living flower product of industrial production, so that this product does not disappear from his unprofessional attitude towards plant material.
So what should a florist know? Florist should know:
The author of the bouquet is Alena Permyakova
The stages of purchasing both cut and potted flowers, because there are flowers that are bought in a dense bud, such as a cut daffodil, no matter where you buy them - at a flower wholesale center, in a flower farm or a state farm; there are flowers that should be bought in a closed bud, but colored; there are flowers that should be bought halfway through; there are flowers that must be bought in the state when a certain number of flowers are open and the rest are in the bud. This is the first thing that begins with training a professional florist, because the product should not quickly perish and should still live with the buyer as long as possible. If we take a well-known rose, then in full dissolution, a rose in a floristic salon is a marriage. And in ikebana, for example, I can put it, having specially disbanded it,if I wish to tell everyone with my composition that my youth has already passed and old age is not far off. Because these are completely different tasks in life: ikebana is done for oneself, and decoration in the salon is for the buyer.
- The second thing a florist should know is taking care of the purchased goods, because each cut flower has its own temperature for transportation and storage. There are flowers that are carried at plus two degrees, and kept in the refrigerator at plus two degrees; there are flowers that need, say, five, and there are flowers that need eight, and there are, for example, the same anthurium or poinsettia, which, if the temperature is below 15-16 degrees Celsius, simply turn blue. The basis of the basics is the care of the goods and the correct handling of them, and if a customer in your salon has enough expensive anthurium or poinsettia in the middle of winter before the New Year, and it is frosty outside, then you should not let it out of the store without packing the purchase properly, because the flower will turn blue until the person walks with it to the car. Every florist should know how long each flower can live without water:after all, there are flowers that are carried only on the water, they don’t bother without water. This is the foundation of the profession. Just as a tailor needs to know the properties of different fabrics, and a hairdresser needs to know the properties of different hair types, a florist needs to know everything about colors.
- Third. Place of arrangement of flowers in the trading floor. Some flowers are placed only in the light, but not in the sun, others are placed in the sun, although there are very few of these, and still others are only in the shade, i.e. they have different requirements for lighting and temperature conditions, and there are flowers that do not tolerate drafts at all. Many people believe that if they are creative, then they are already accomplished florists, but they do not know all this.
- Fourth. The florist needs to know how to process the stems of all flowers: one flower is just a fresh cut, and the other flower needs to be cut by 2-3 cm, and the third by 5. You need to know how to remove the leaves correctly. Boxes with flowers that come to the store, these flowers must be cleaned by the florist, not by someone else. This is the first work of a florist: let's say, 300-400 roses come to the store, clean them properly, put them on the water.
- Fifth. You need to be well versed in what special additives need to be supplied, some additives are for the shrub origin of flowers, others for herbaceous ones, separately for bulbous ones, separately for daffodils, because all these additives are necessary to preserve the life of cut flowers.
- Sixth. The stages of using a flower in a bouquet and composition: what you can put in a bud, and then it will open up, and what you cannot.
The author of the bouquet is Mila Tikhomirova
Seventh. Making bouquets using different techniques. There are a lot of these techniques today. Florists are taught both old techniques and modern ones. There are various floristic devices: floristic wires, floristic tapes, special pistols used to glue, not to mention a sponge - an oasis and how to work with it. All techniques are aimed at extending the life of cut flowers. Something is being used to anchor. But everything is designed for the life support of the flower. These are the secrets that a professional florist should fully possess.
- Further. Every self-respecting salon, fashionable salon in any city, especially in a competitive environment, creates its own collection of bouquets and compositions: autumn, spring, New Year. A florist should be able to collect a bouquet from a photograph from a sample album in the salon, i.e. work on samples.
- He should be able to make compositions in vases, in different containers, know how to make compositions in floral baskets.
- The florist should know the whole complex of wedding floristry well. Wedding floristry includes, in addition to the wedding bouquet, making a boutonniere for the groom, decorating the bride's hairstyle, decorating various accessories for the bride - an umbrella, etc., decorating a wedding table, decorating a wedding room, decorating wedding gifts. Wedding floristry is a separate rather large set of knowledge and skills, according to which books and textbooks are written. And there are a lot of styles of wedding bouquets that in everyday life may not be ordered, for example, the same Biedermeier, the same cascading bouquet.
- The florist should know the whole complex of event floristry well, including funeral floristry - wreaths, branches for laying, decoration of crosses, etc., and a garland for laying is a very complex product, by the way; Christmas floristry; Easter floristry: it has its own separate accessories, fastening methods, etc. In general, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, and we also have May 9 - these are events that require special accessories, these are special flowers - and this is taught separately.
- He needs to know how to work with potted plants. This is the most difficult question: how to care for them in the store, at what stage to sell them, how to wrap them up, how to notice if they are pests or diseases.
The author of the bouquet is Pavel Chernyak
The florist should be aware of contemporary floristic styles, trends and trends.
- The florist must know the packaging material and be able to work with it correctly: both with gift wrapping and with ordinary packaging. He should also be free to handle floral accessories.
- The florist must be able to quickly and competently make a cost estimate for the product made. Because today, as a rule, a bouquet is ordered for a certain amount. If the florist does not know the exact cost of all the components, he will not be able to freely assemble a bouquet at the required cost.
This is the difference between an amateur and a professional, and it is very big. But you don't need to think that if you are called an arranger and not a florist, then this is not the right level. There are such great masters in club arrangements! And by the way, most of the books on flower arrangement, which are sold and bought all over the world and enjoy well-deserved popularity, were written by club arrangers. And there are stars. And your level depends only on your skill, on your creativity, on your experience, and not on the name.
And flower arrangement competitions all over the world are held in these two categories with their own special rules of judging. In the 100-point judging system existing in international floristry, compliance with the theme, and the floristic technique of execution, and composition, etc., are necessarily considered. the artistic and technical aspects of each work are carefully evaluated. I have been an international judge many times, and even was the first representative of Russia to participate in international refereeing. Club arrangers also have a judging system, but it is completely different. And the judges are preparing for her separately.
Popular by topic
We bring to your attention the ideas of New Year and Christmas bouquets and compositions from florists of CanadaFlowers.The works of professional Canadian florists are made in the range of classic tones of winter holidays: red, gold, green, pink, blue
By planting spring bulbous flowers at the end of winter, for example, such as these tulips of flaming fire coloring, you can accomplish a small miracle - to create the feeling of a living first spring warmth in the house.List of materials required to create this composition:Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea',Tulipa Cultivar,moss,ceramic pots,decorative braid wire,priming
Easter, like Christmas, is by its very nature a deeply family holiday and deserves special attention. Bright Easter Sunday is a great opportunity to have a family early or late breakfast, and then, according to the good old tradition, be with the children, and maybe even take part in the popular European holiday game - "hunt" for Easter eggs
In our country, Valentine's Day, February 14, is still a very young holiday, but what kind of souvenirs in the form of hearts have not appeared, intended for a gift to a loved one! Decorative and sweet valentines, soft toys and various decorations with the symbols of this day, and a lot of other sundries of all sizes and colors - today all this can be easily bought in almost any store
The long-awaited summer is not far off. Imagine how nice it is to enjoy the clear sun along with fresh flowers. Choose a company of your choice - fragrant lilies, energetic dahlias, cheerful gladioli or gushing nerine, minimalistic lyatrixes or luxurious callas, or maybe just good old begonia?